DEVOPS VS SOFTWARE ENGINEER: Who plays an important role in Software Development?
There are many people behind a software development to make a smooth-running software and there are two important engineers who play a major role in the software development life cycle.
Both are IT expertise with knowledge of programming languages, but both have different roles in development of software project i.e., DevOps Engineer is involved in automation process and provide efficiency in projects unlike Software Engineer is more involved in the development of software and writing code as per requirements of the business.
So, now here we discuss the comparison of DevOps vs Software Engineer in detail including the roles and responsibilities, jobs, skills, salary and many more.
So, before going deeper let us understand the true meaning of DevOps Engineer and Software Engineer.
WHAT IS DEVOPS ENGINEER, OR WHO IS DEVOPS ENGINEER?
DevOps Engineer is an information technology specialist who works with software developers to build and maintain the software development lifecycle, manage code, maintain security procedures, and have a sound knowledge of tools that support businesses and improve efficiency and safety.
AND NOW WHO IS A SOFTWARE ENGINEER?
Software engineer is a person who performs his/her duties using the principles of software engineering, in other words the job of a software engineer is to design, develop, analyze, test and manage software projects and the software engineer also has the knowledge to solve the problem or bug in a software development lifecycle.
After knowing the meaning of both DevOps and Software Engineer, now let us understand what are their roles and responsibilities.
ROLES AND DUTIES OF DEVOPS ENGINEERS:
1. Knowledge of Tools and Technologies: DevOps Engineers have in-depth knowledge of latest technologies and updated tools through which they perform tasks quickly.
Some of the tools are:
• Container tools i.e., Docker and LXD
• Continuous integration tools: Jenkins, Bamboo, etc.
• Source control versioning tools are Bit Bucket and GIT
2. Experience in performing automation: Automation enables to save time and create regularity and consistency in the performance of software development lifecycle. Automation tools that were used by DevOps Engineer such as Ruby and Python.
3. Performance Monitoring: To identify bugs, DevOps engineers have knowledge of monitoring tools which is essential in the development lifecycle and also understanding of modify errors in new or existing software projects.
4. Engagement with other team members: Engagement with other team members is the most important part of architecting successful software and designing algorithms and evaluating users' feedback and working on those feedbacks.
ROLES AND DUTIES OF SOFTWARE ENGINEER:
- Software Designing: Software engineers design the solution through which they build the system for the users experience and work with the latest design elements to execute the program with new features.
- Development of software programs: Software engineers have the knowledge of programming language to write code and provide high value to clients or customers and develop the project quickly.
- Testing: When software engineers write the code before implementing the code on the final designation they test the code multiple times to uncover all the bugs and errors and ensure that the new or existing features work properly.
- Develop SQL Scripts: Software Engineer creates or develops Structured Query Language (SQL) for creation, management and transformation of data as per the requirements of the organization and manages technical and software validation to ensure improvements and developments.
From knowing the meaning to the complete comparison of Software Engineer vs DevOps, we have discussed all the points which create confusion and after the discussion we know that both have their own roles and duties in software development.