SRE VS DEVOPS: DIFFERENCE IN SALARY AND CAREER PATH
SRE and DevOps Engineer are two different methods used in software engineering and IT professions. SRE is a method that helps to manage the availability, scalability, and performance of their services. It is targeted at monitoring and tooling to improve reliability. DevOps Engineer is a software developer who provides collaboration, communication and affiliation between software developers and operations association. It aims at ensuring continuous integration, delivery and deployment of software.
Both SRE and DevOps work to reduce integration, improve software quality, and reduce operating costs.
Thus, there are major differences between the two approaches. SRE is more focused on reliability and availability, while DevOps is more focused on agility and speed.
What do you understand about SRE?
SRE stands for Site Reliability Engineer and is the method of using software tools that help in operationalizing its efficiency such as management of system and app monitoring.
Roles and duties of SRE:
• Software Development: SRE helps in building the software and also acts as a bridge between the development and the team. The SRE amends or creates new codes to provide credentials to the management.
• Identify and Resolve Risks: If there is any issue or error in the development then it is the responsibility of SRE to quickly resolve the bugs and errors. And also informs the right person who works on these errors effectively and effectively.
• Analyzing Feedback: One of the important duty of SRE is to always analyze or check the errors i.e. SRE always monitors the development process if any error occurs then SRE works on those errors quickly and from these they make a plan for future and they make sure it cannot be repeated.
• Improve On-call decision: SRE makes decisions on the spot if the error suddenly arises which is helpful for the management to work effectively and also helpful in the lifecycle of software development.
Tools of SRE:
• LightRun: LightRun is the right tool for developers, means LightRun helps developers to check and debug code, and also helps to quickly recognize and resolve errors which improves quality in development.
• PagerDuty: PagerDuty helps the organization to maintain and take action in favor of rapid growth. PagerDuty also helps in monitoring and tracking the development in real time.
• Slack: Slack is a communication tool that helps the user's communication through messages and has some unique features unlike other messaging tools like WhatsApp, Facebook etc.
• Terraform: Terraform is a configuration management tool that socializes and describes information that helps in the same Terraform set up multiple times in the final form.
• Grafana: Grafana is a data visualization tool that helps the user visualize data and insights in real time. And it also has some other uses like monitoring server performance, monitoring application performance and visualization of the database.
What is a DevOps Engineer, or who is a DevOps Engineer?
DevOps Engineer is an information technology specialist who works with developers to build and maintain the software development lifecycle, manage code, maintain security systems, and have a sound knowledge of the devices that support the right and improves efficiency and safety.
Roles and Duties of DevOps engineer:
• Knowledge of tools and techniques: DevOps engineers have in-depth knowledge of latest technologies and advanced tools through which they work quickly.
Some of the tools are:
a) Container Tools w Docker and LXD
b) Continuous Integration Tools: Jenkins, Bamboo, etc.
c) Bitbucket and GIT are versioning tools
• Experience in automating performance: Automating enables to save time and create regularity and consistency in the performance of software development lifecycle. Automating tools that are used by DevOps Engineers such as Ruby and Java.
• Monitoring performance: To identify bugs, the DevOps engineer has knowledge of monitoring tools, which are essential throughout the development lifecycle, and also have an understanding of relevance with respect to new or existing possibilities.
• Involved with other team members: The most important part of creating and subscribing to sustainable software is involving other team members and evaluating user feedback and working on those concerns.
Tools that are used by DevOps:
•Jenkins: Jenkins is a free open source tool written in Java language for a CI server. It has around 1000 ventures that integrate all your DevOps phases of the development lifecycle, such as Build, Documentation, Testing, Deployment, Revision Analyzer, etc.
• Ansible: Ansible is an open source tool that is the easiest way to automate your instances and provides huge benefits.
• Puppet: It is an outlook management device used to organize servers, messaging and for you and also use Master service architecture which is a secure channel by communication between Master and Slave.
• Docker: Docker is a tool that uses containers to build an app with all the requirements and deploy these containers to another site.
• Git: Git is a free tool designed to manage or control small to large projects. It has more performance, security, and is used to manage your project which may change.
SRE vs DevOps: Salary and Career Path
Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) SRE teams perform duties between development and operations such as on-call and is well-known in the community and SRE has a thorough knowledge of the software development lifecycle and is also associated with latest technologies like release engineering.
And the average salary of a SRE in India is Rs.12,00,000 annually.
DevOps Engineer: DevOps Engineer always works on new projects and upgrade software development lifecycle and DevOps engineer always stay up to date with latest tools and regulations because of change in technologies.
And the average salary of a DevOps Engineer in India is Rs.7,00,000 per annum.
In the argument between SRE and DevOps we know about SRE which bridges the gap between development and operations team whereas DevOps engineers who build and maintain the code and make changes to the software accordingly and know about the duties and discussed the career and salary of SRE vs DevOps. So, if anyone is interested in both the profiles, hopefully this will be useful.