A Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE) is a Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA) who possesses the additional skills, knowledge, and abilities required of a senior system administrator responsible for Red Hat Enterprise Linux systems.
An RHCE is capable of RHCSA tasks plus the following:
- Configuring static routes, packet filtering, and network address translation
- Setting kernel runtime parameters
- Configuring an Internet Small Computer System Interface (iSCSI) initiator
- Producing and delivering reports on system utilization
- Using shell scripting to automate system maintenance tasks
- Configuring system logging, including remote logging
- Configuring a system to provide networking services, including HTTP/HTTPS, File Transfer Protocol (FTP), network file system (NFS), server message block (SMB), Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP), secure shell (SSH) and Network Time Protocol (NTP)
The following audiences may be interested in earning RHCE:
- RHCSAs who wish to earn a more senior-level credential.
- Experienced senior system administrators who have not yet certified.
- Course participants in Red Hat Training who have completed System Administration I, II, and II, or who have completed the RHCE Rapid Track Course.
- Experienced system administrators who require certification for their job or by mandate (e.g., US Department of Defense Directive 8570).